Section 3 Bowling conducts the following tournaments annually.
Section 3 Team Championships– (Boy’s and Girl’s)
This six (6) game team event is held every February near the conclusion of the regular season. The team with the highest total six (6) game team pinfall will be declared the Section 3 Champion and will advance to the State Championship, and represent Section 3 in the School Division event.
To be eligible to enter this tournament, teams must win at least 40% of their points, or matches, in at least one (1) of the following criteria.
- Teams in the same League. These are games against teams in the same league for which the league schedule classifies the games, or match, as a “league contest” or “league game”. Scrimmages and/or extra games against opponents in the same league for which the results do not factor into the final standings of the league will not count towards this category.
- Teams of Same Class . These are games against teams of the same BEDS classification. (ie… Class A, B, or C/D). Scrimmages against opponents in the same class for which the results do not factor into the final record of the team will not count towards this category.
- Overall . Games against any opponent, regardless of league affiliation or BEDS classification. Scrimmages, in which the results do not factor into the final record of the team, will not count towards this category.
Section 3 Individual Shootout– (Boy’s and Girl’s)
This individual event consists of six (6) games and is held every February near the conclusion of the regular season. The top two (2) individuals with the highest pinfall from this event will earn a berth onto the Section 3 Composite team.
To be eligible to enter this tournament, individuals must qualify by meeting the following criteria.
- The individual must compete in at least 2/3 of his/her teams games. (.66667)
- The individual must not be part of the overall winning team at the Section 3 Team Championships.
- The individual is not the high average bowler from the league (with at least 2/3 of the games participated)
- The individuals average must be in the top 15% of the league (high average bowler and members of the of the overall winning team from the team championship excluded)
The top two (2) finishing bowlers from this event will earn a spot on the Section 3 Composite team, and will compete at the NYS Finals in the Composite Division Championship. These two (2) individuals will join four (4) other individuals, who qualified for the composite team, by finishing as the top average player from their league during the regular season.
Formula to Determine the Number of qualifying bowlers from the league.
1. Determine the number of bowlers who have participated in 2/3 of their teams games.
2. Multiply that number by .15
3. Round up to the next whole number.
Example: 41 bowlers have 2/3 games. 41 x .15 = 6.15 ROUND UP to 7. The league will send 7 bowlers. The high average player is exempt since he/she already qualified for the composite team. Therefore, the league will send bowlers 2-8.